Sunday, August 28, 2011

Magnetizing Dark Eldar Infantry

For all intents and purposes I've scrapped my Kabalite Warriors in favor of redoing them with magnets and a, hopefully, better paint job.  This will allow me to customize their weapons loadouts.  They can also pull double duty as Trueborn when I need them too.

I did a little trial and error investigating and I've come to the conclusion that the best size for magnetizing DE is 1/16" by 1/32".  These are very tiny magnets that fit perfectly in the slim shoulders and torsos of DE models.  I've found that the perfect drill bit to use with this size magnet is a 1/8".  It creates a hole just a tad bit bigger than the magnet so the fit is snug without being a bother.  This is important because, again, these are really tiny magnets that can be a bit annoying when handled with man hands.



Normally, I'd suggest covering the magnet with green stuff, but in this case its counter productive.  The magnet is just powerful enough to hold a limb.  If you added a layer of green stuff I'm not sure how well it would attract its counterpart magnet.




Reference photo.  The top line of magnets are 1/8" by 1/16".  I use these for Terminators and Marines.  The bottom magnets are the 1/16" by 1/32".  There are 96 of them in this photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment